Friday, February 10, 2012

Glove Box Light


You know the saying, “The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak”. Well, after months of wanting to do it, today I finally got down to actually doing it. Fixing my glove box light.

Items that you’d need :-
1.       Glove box light.
2.       Switch
3.       Wires.
 
[Update 5/10/2012]

I found the correct wiring for the glove box light. It a yellow connector located under the carpet behind the airbag/pre-tensioner ecu.

 So I rewired the lighting using this connector.
 
Removed the glove box. I also removed to front facia to make it easier to wire – up the light. Wiring was quite simple. For the power (+ve) I tapped from the cigarette lighter. And grounded it to the metal piece which holds the dashboard.

+ve taken from the grey colored wire.
Had to cut a bit to fit my light.


All in Place. Time to fix back everything.


Working Perfectly!!

8 comments:

  1. Where do you sourced the light? Any particular car model it came from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think any light will do. Mine, I'm using one taken from a Proton Tiara. its the cabin lamp.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    How u pull out the cigar lighter from the panel? Pull up or down?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remove the side mirror switch. then push the cigar lighter up. But better don't remove the cigar lighter because the plastic ring around it is brittle and breaks easily. Better to take power from the yellow connector

    ReplyDelete
  5. I STILL CANT REMOVE THE CIGAR LIGHTER. I DID REMOVE THE SIDE MIRROR SWITCH PANEL BUT THE THE CIGAR ONE DOESNT COME UP. I THINK I HAVE TO DISCONNECT IT PARTLY. HELP ME WITH MORE DETAILS. THANKS.

    I NEED TO REPLACE IT WITH A NEW ONE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you will have to push the cigar lighter upwards. Use a bit more force to push it out

      Delete
  6. How did you manage to extract the lighter with the lighting bulb attached to it through the hole?

    I'm going to replace my lighter with a fixed 2xUSB power output, and doing some preliminary recce showed that this bulb bulge will be in the way.

    Any tips are greatly appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete